Though I was not planning to make this podi as it is difficult to get curry leaves in Rajasthan. But when we moved into our new house, the first thing I did was to see the backyard for any chance of finding a curry leave tree. Wow! Indeed their is one. So the first thing that came to my mind was making this podi for this month's BM. This goes very well with softly cooked plain rice and ghee and not to forget the nutrients it provides being rich in iron. So here it is.
Curry leaves : 1 handful/ bunch
Toor dal : 2 table spoon
Urad dal (black or white) : 2 table spoon
Red chillies : 3 nos
Oil : 1 teaspoon
Hing/ Asafoetida : a pinch
Salt to taste
1. Dry roast both the the dal and the red chillies.
2. Wash the curry leaves and let them dry naturally for a few hours or under the fan.
3. Heat oil in a pan and fry the curry leaves till they are crispy.
4. Add salt and hing to the roasted ingredients and grind to a coarse powder and keep aside.
5. Now grind the fried leaves till coarse. Add the coarsely ground dal powder and run the mixer for a few more seconds. Can use push button at this stage. The end product should be coarse.
For more recipes on shelf life, check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#69